chicago→ ←el cerrito
2012-2014 School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL
♦ MFA in Painting & Drawing
2007-2011 The University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA
♦ BFA in Fine Arts: Painting & Drawing
♦ Minor in History of the Visual Arts
♦ Graduated with Honors
Awards, Honors, & Residencies:
2017 MIUSA Women’s Institute on Leadership and Disability (WILD), San Francisco, CA
2016 AZULE Residency, Asheville, NC
2015 CAMP (Collaborative Arts Mobility Project) Residency, Hardwick, VT
2014 Fall Painting and Drawing Teaching Fellowship: Drawing Multi-Level, SAIC, Chicago
2012-2014 Writing Fellowship TA position for duration of Master’s degree program
2012-2014 SAIC Grant
2011 The Ted Carey Prize
2011 The Steve Jaffe Award in Drawing
2011 The Novelli Award for Excellence in the Liberal Arts
2011 Nominated for:
♦ Valedictory speaker
♦ The Mary Louise Beitzel Award
♦ The Richard C. Von Hess Travel Fellowship
♦ The Alexander Award
2010 The Larry Day Memorial Award
2010 The Marguerite and Otis Walter Scholarship for Excellence in Art History
Selected Solo, Two-, & Three-Person Exhibitions:
2017 “Phantom Limb.” Solo Exhibition at NIAD Art Center, Richmond, CA
2016 “Em Kettner / Ryan Travis Christian / Kyle Breitenbach.” HARPY, Rutherford, NJ
2016 “Talisman: Em Kettner & Jessie Mott.” Fernwey Gallery, Chicago, IL
2016 “Neutral Mask: Em Kettner, Andy Moore, Oriana Weich.” Western Exhibitions, Chicago, IL
Selected Group Exhibitions:
2017 “Comic Arts Brooklyn.” Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY
2017 “Welcome Blanket.” Smart Museum of Art, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
2017 “EXPO Chicago.” with Andrew Rafacz Gallery, Navy Pier, Chicago, IL
2017 “Figured Out! Bodily Form in Contemporary Ceramics.” Andrew Rafacz Gallery, Chicago, IL
2017 “LTD Wear 2.” LVL3 Gallery, Chicago, IL
2017 “World Town.” Roots & Culture Chicago, IL
2017 “–on the bank of what river?” Roman Susan Gallery, Chicago, IL
2017 “Close to Me.” curated by Eric May, Roots & Culture, Chicago, IL
2017 “CAMP Annual Fundraiser.” The Pines, Brooklyn, NY
2017 “Julius Caesar Benefit Auction.” Julius Caesar, Chicago, IL
2017 “Win Win.” Clif Bar, Emeryville, CA
2016 “Object Puzzles.” Tusk, Chicago, IL
2016 “Pliocene Park.” Site Red, Chicago, IL
2016 “HOW HIGH?” Left Field SLO Gallery, San Luis Obispo, CA
2016 “Magic Harvest.” Gallery at Panorama, Oakland, CA.
2016 “DisFigure.” Turpentine Gallery, Oakland, CA.
2016 “Analog RAM: the Return of Active Memory.” The Research House for Asian Art, Chicago, IL
2014 “Talking to the Animals.” MFA Thesis Exhibition, Sullivan Galleries, Chicago, IL
2014 “Sexy Can I: 8 Failed and Successful Romances.” curated by Third Object, 2nd Floor Rear, Chicago, IL.
2013 “Digital Comics.” Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, IL.
2013 “Wilder Than Us.” SAIC 17th Floor Space, Chicago, IL
2011 “Lightness and Weight.” Clip Art Gallery, Philadelphia, PA.
2011 “Painting Printmaking Sculpture.” The Icebox, Crane Arts Building, Philadelphia, PA.
2011 “HIVE/CAVE.” Pageant/Soleveev Gallery, Philadelphia, PA.
2011 “Float Onwards/Float On Words. Senior Thesis Exhibition.” Anderson Hall, Philadelphia, PA.
2011 “Ted Carey Juried Exhibition.” Anderson Hall, Philadelphia, PA.
2011 “Mary Louise Beitzel Juried Exhibition.” Hamilton Hall, Philadelphia, PA.
2011 “Annual Student Exhibition.” Rosenwald-Wolf Gallery, Philadelphia, PA.
2011 “Art Unleashed.” Solmssen Court, The University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA.
2010 “Kam Yu Lam Middle December Show.” Kam Yu Lam, Philadelphia, PA.
2010 “Kam Yu Lam Middle November Grand Opening Show.” Kam Yu Lam, Philadelphia, PA.
2014 – Present Lecturer, School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC), Chicago, IL.
♦ Studio Drawing A: Multi-Level, Painting and Drawing Department
♦ Studio Painting A: Multi-Level, Painting and Drawing Department
♦ Drawing Institute: Summer Residency with Eric Lebofsky + Diego Leclery, Painting and Drawing Department
♦ Research Studio 1, Contemporary Practices Department
♦ First Year Writing Seminar 2, Liberal Arts Department
♦ First Year Writing Seminar 1, Liberal Arts Department
2017 – Present Ceramics Instructor, NIAD Art Center, Richmond, CA
2017 – Present Fibers Instructor, NIAD Art Center, Richmond CA
2015 Private Tutor for graduate level course, ARTHIST/VCS 5060 001: Heterosexualities in Art and Mass Culture, East and West, SAIC, Chicago, IL
2012 – 2014 Writing Fellow TA, SAIC, Chicago, IL
2014 Teaching Assistant for Anne Harris, Studio Drawing: Multi-Level, SAIC, Chicago, IL
2013 Teaching Assistant for Mary Lou Zelazny, Studio Painting: Multi-Level, SAIC, Chicago, IL
2011 Essay Contributor to Title Magazine
2011 Writing Fellow, The University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA
2011 Peer Tutor in Art History, Writing, ESL, Reading, and Drawing, The University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA
Visiting Artist Lectures, Presentations, & Critiques:
2017 Artist Lecture for Drawing Institute: Summer Residency, Chicago, IL
2017 Artist Lecture for “Phantom Limb,” NIAD, Richmond, CA
2014-2016 Faculty panelist on end-of-semester graduate student critiques at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago
2015 Presenter at Kavi Gupta Gallery, Chicago, as part of the Soapbox lecture series. Topic: Desire, “Get Up and Walk: Mythology and Myopathy”
2015 Visiting Artist Lecturer at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago for Drawing Studio: Multi-Level taught by Gulsah Mursaloglu: “Human/Animal”
2015 Panelist at Julius Caesar Gallery, “Ethan Gill: Mean on Sunday.” Chicago, IL.
2014 Visiting Artist Lecturer at DePaul University for undergraduate studio course, “ART 206: Intermediate Drawing,” taught by Matthew Girson
2014 Visiting Artist Lecturer at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago for graduate level art history, “ARTHI 5575-001: Extraordinary Bodies,” taught by Bess Williamson; she writes: “This course explores disability as an embodied experience, an analytic frame, a social construction, and a reappraisal of the aesthetics and politics of modern art and design.”
Publications as Author:
- “Tailbone” Fernwey Gallery, Fernwey Editions, November 4th, 2016.
- “Nicholas Schutzenhofer: Corsage” Press release for Shaheen Gallery, CAN Journal, http://canjournal.org/2016/03/shaheen-presents-the-works-of-nick-schutzenhofer/ and http://www.shaheengallery.com/exhibitions/view/68
- “Em Kettner on the work of Nick Schutzenhofer” Fernwey Gallery, Fernwey Editions, October 24th, 2014. http://www.fernwey.com/em-kettner-on-nick schutzenhofer
- “Corpsey and the Birds” Trubble Club Presents: The Infinite Corpse 2013 http://corpsey.trubble.club/catacombs/55/107/
- “’Marilyn Holsing: Further Tales of Young Marie Antoinette’ at Gallery Joe” Title Magazine, December 21st, 2011. http://www.title-magazine.com/2011/12/763/
- “’Things that Do’ at Fleisher/Ollman” Title Magazine, November 30th, 2011. http://www.title-magazine.com/2011/11/things-that-do-african-power-objects-emery-blagdon-philadelphia-wireman/
- “’Elemental Matters’ at the Chemical History Foundation” Title Magazine, November 5th, 2011. http://www.title-magazine.com/2011/11/elemental-matters-artists-imagine-chemistry/
- “’Painting Printmaking Sculpture” Icebox Project Space, Crane Arts, 2011. http://www.cranearts.com/painting-printmaking-sculpture/
- Kate Mothes, “Interview with Em Kettner,” Young-Space, February 22nd, 2017. http://www.young-space.com/blog/2017/2/em-kettner
- Jessica Campbell, “Talisman: on the work of Em Kettner and Jessie Mott,” Fernwey Gallery, November 1st, 2016. http://www.fernwey.com/talisman
- “Top V. Weekend Picks 11/3-11/9″ Bad At Sports, Contemporary Art Talk, http://badatsports.com/2016/top-v-weekend-picks-113-119/
- Daniel Gerwin, “An Ecology of Philadelphia’s Art Scene,” On-Verge, December 15th, 2015. http://www.on-verge.org/features/an-ecology-of-philadelphias-art-scene/
- Liz Logan, “10 Local Art Galleries Worth Exploring,” Make It Better, January 21st, 2016. https://makeitbetter.net/entertainment/10-local-art-galleries-worth-exploring/
- Jessica Campbell, “Desire: A Soapbox Lecture by Em Kettner, Kelly Lloyd, and Danny Volk,” editions Kavi Gupta, April 25th, 2015. http://www.kaviguptaeditions.com/events/2015/desire-a-soapbox-series-lecture-by-emily-kettner-kelly-lloyd-and-danny-volk
- Denise Bennett, “In Conversation with Em Kettner and Denise Bennett” SAIC MFA 2014 website, April 18th, 2014. http://saic-mfa.com/2014/in-conversation-with-em-kettner-and-denise-bennett/
- “Night Mare” Edge Magazine, The University of the Arts, 2012